For the Year 13s, we would say:
- Use all your experience of preparing your Presentations in approaching your final drafts
- Use the same structure for the essay as you did for the presentation
- Choose your essay title/question and PLAN the essay from scratch WITHOUT looking at the original one you did
- Then WRITE the essay without looking at the original one
- Finally, compare the new essay with the original and take from this only the best elements
You might be surprised at what you produce.
For the Year 12s, we would say:
- Don't worry - this essay is like nothing you've ever done before
- Use the advice on the blog and the website to help you
- It's not so much the content that you're marked on as the quality of your mind and how you apply it in exploring the implications of the question
- Just go for it!
For both Years, here's a sheet that you can use to focus your mind on the writing process: TOK Essay Self-Evaluation Sheet.
If you want a consultation on the Essay, make sure you follow the advice on this sheet and bring a PLAN of your ideas. Do not come to us EMPTY-HANDED!